Cranberry Almond Scones





Okay, I admit it - I am a sucker for sweet baked goods. There's an autumn chill in the air, Thanksgiving is around the corner, and I am baking today. I have Thanksgiving on my mind: cranberries and almonds are two of my favorite holiday ingredients. These scones would be great for a holiday brunch or tea with visiting relatives. For those of you who are skeptical of gluten-free goodies, try this recipe and you'll be a convert. This was adapted from Pamela's basic scone recipe. There is some almond flour in her baking mix and it adds to the depth of almondy deliousness.


Ingredients
  • 2 1/4 cup Pamela's Pancake and Baking Mix
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/3 cup turbinado sugar (plus some for sprinkling on top)
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 large egg beaten
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
  • 1/2 cup dried (sweetened) cranberries
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 375. Combine Pamela's mix, baking powder, an 1/3 cup turbinado in a bowl. Use a fork to integrate butter with dry ingredients. Fork in milk, (already beaten) egg, and almond extract. Fold in sliced almonds and cranberries. Scoop mounds of dough onto an un-greased baking sheet. Sprinkle turbinado sugar over the tops. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Eat and enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. I was wondering if the scones were "gooey" on the inside and flaky on the outside, or flaky both on the outside and the inside? What do the cranberry and almonds do to the texture? I bet they smelled awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They had a typical scone texture: moist and a little dense on the inside, but not at all gooey. They were crumbly and flaky on the outside with a nice sugary crunch on top.
    We once made this recipe with fresh blackberries and the scones got really runny. But the dried almonds and cranberries don't seem to effect the texture at all, yet add great flavor.
    Yes, the smell was great!
    I think I am going to make these for my daughter's school potluck next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Just wanted to say that I tried this recipe a couple of days ago, but I didn't have pancake and baking mix so I added 1 1/4 cup of hotcake mix plus 1 cup of regular flour, and the scones turned out great! delicious recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ana Maria, thanks for the feedback. I am glad the scones worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this fabulousness E! This is my favorite scone recipe ever - flaky and "giving" inside and crispy crunchy outside. The depth of almond flavor was excellent. Teah suggested adding strawberries, which we diced and added instead of cranberries. I'm newly gluten free, and your site has been heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marites,
    Your comment made my day. Thank you so much for the kind words and I am glad you thoroughly enjoyed the scones. Being gluten free isn't so bad is it:)

    ReplyDelete

So good to hear from you... I appreciate each and every note you leave for me!

Thanks,
E